Friday, February 1, 2019

Museum of Nature staircase / Escalier du Musée de la Nature


Last night I joined the Ottawa Urban Sketchers for a return visit to the Museum of Nature (I'd joined them a few years ago at the same locale). About two dozen artists braved the cold weather to spend an evening drawing and painting in this beautiful building. I decided to start my evening by sketching the imposing staircase in the central foyer of the building. I soon realized that my work was going to be challenging because of the large number of people who were walking around the foyer and obstructing my view. After a while I found it rather interesting to follow all the traffic and to chat with some of the people who noticed me in my corner. While I should've incorporated some of these visitors in my image, I felt that I had enough of a challenge in simply making this composition. In the days that follow, I'll share a couple other sketches from the evening. A big thanks to the organizer of the event, Cindi Moynahan-Foreman.

Hier soir, j’ai rejoint les Urban Sketchers d’Ottawa pour une visite au Musée de la nature (je les avais rejoints il y a quelques années au même endroit). Environ deux douzaines d'artistes ont bravé le froid pour passer une soirée à dessiner et à peindre dans ce magnifique bâtiment. J'ai décidé de commencer ma soirée en dessinant l'imposant escalier dans le hall central du bâtiment. J'ai compris assez vite que mon travail sera difficile en raison du grand nombre de personnes qui se promenaient dans le hall et obstruaient ma vue. Bientôt, j’ai trouvé assez intéressant de suivre tout le trafic et de discuter avec certaines des personnes qui m’ont remarqué dans mon coin. Bien que j'aurais dû incorporer certains de ces visiteurs dans mon image, j’ai eu l’impression que j’avais assez de difficulté à faire cette composition. Dans les jours qui suivent, je partagerai quelques autres images de la soirée. Un grand merci à l'organisateur de l'événement, Cindi Moynahan-Foreman.



No comments: