Saturday, August 22, 2026

Old willow tree / Vieux saule

As I mentioned in a previous posting, there are many majestic trees in Prince Edward County (Ontario). This is an illustration that I made of one very large and tall willow tree next to the cottage that we rented. I couldn't take my eyes off it. Its bark was especially thick and sinuous and as I examined it, it seemed to take on shapes that looked like faces. The willow reminded me of the many fantasy trees that Arthur Rackham illustrated for fairy tale books like the Brothers Grimm. In this spirit, I began to draw the tree on site with a fountain pen in ink. When I started to add watercolour paint to the illustration at home, I was shocked to find out that the ink wasn't waterproof. The paint mixed with the ink creating a mess and destroying my illustration! Fortunately I had taken a photo of my initial  ink drawing and was able to transfer it to the Procreate app on my iPad Pro and 'paint' it digitally. It's not at all what I planned. Maybe someday I'll recreate the drawing with waterproof ink and finally paint it with watercolours.

Ink drawing in a Fabriano watercolour sketchbook painted in Procreate with an iPad Pro, 17 x 19 cm (6.75 x 7.5 inches).

Comme je l'ai mentionné dans un article précédent, le comté de Prince Edward (Ontario) posséde d'arbres majestueux. Voici une illustration que j'ai réalisée d'un très grand saule près du chalet que nous avions loué. Je ne pouvais détacher mon regard de lui. Son écorce était particulièrement épaisse et sinueuse, et en l'examinant, elle semblait prendre des formes de visages. Ce saule me rappelait les nombreux arbres fantastiques qu'Arthur Rackham illustrait pour des contes comme ceux des Frères Grimm. Dans cet esprit, j'ai commencé à dessiner l'arbre sur place, à l'encre, avec un stylo-plume. Lorsque j'ai voulu ajouter de l'aquarelle à mon dessin une fois rentrée chez moi, j'ai été choqué de constater que l'encre n'était pas imperméable. La peinture s'est mélangée à l'encre, créant un véritable désastre et ruinant mon illustration ! Heureusement, j'avais pris une photo de mon dessin à l'encre et j'ai pu la transférer dans l'application Procreate sur mon iPad Pro et la « peindre » numériquement. Ce n'est pas du tout ce que j'avais prévu. Peut-être qu'un jour je recréerai ce dessin à l'encre indélébile et que je le peindrai enfin à l'aquarelle.

Dessin à l'encre dans un carnet de croquis aquarelle Fabriano, retravaillé avec Procreate sur iPad Pro, 17 x 19 cm (6,75 x 7,5 pouces). 

No comments: