Monday, July 31, 2017

National Art Gallery plaza / Terrace du Musée des beaux-arts






This is my final sketch from the Ottawa Urban Sketcher's event last Saturday. (Again, many thanks to the organisers.) We met in front of the National Art Gallery and so I thought that it would be a good idea to sketch this location with the sculptures of the giant spider 'Maman' by Louise Bourgeois and the 'Three Watchmen' by Jim Hart. It was a very sunny day, so I searched for a shady spot across the street from the plaza and sat down to draw. Although I was in a comfortable location, I soon found out that there was a lot of distracting pedestrian and car traffic in front of me as well as traffic lights and signs. (Below you can see a photo of what I'm referring to.) I tried to ignore most of this and project myself to an idea virtual spot for my sketch in pencil. Later at home, I would apply ink and watercolour to the scene using reference photos I took. I guess that this is another illustration of the differences between drawing and photogaphy. 
Watercolour with Micron pens in a Strathmore 500 series sketchbook, 27 x 16 cm (10.5 x 6 inches).

C'est mon dernier esquisse de l'événement des Sketchers urbain d'Ottawa samedi dernier. (Encore merci aux organisateurs.) Nous nous sommes rencontrés devant le Musée des beaux-arts et j'ai donc pensé que ce serait une bonne idée de dessiner cet endroit avec les sculptures de l'araignée géante 'Maman' de Louise Bourgeois et 'Three Watchmen' de Jim Hart. C'était une journée très ensoleillée, alors j'ai cherché un endroit ombragé de l'autre côté de la rue et je me suis assis pour dessiner. Bien que j'étais dans un endroit confortable, j'ai découvert qu'il y avait beaucoup de trafic de piétons et de voiture devant moi, ainsi que des feux de signalisation et des panneaux. (Ci-dessous, vous pouvez voir une photo de ce que je fais référence.) J'ai essayé d'ignorer la plupart de cela et de me projeter à une idée d'endroit virtuel pour mon croquis au crayon. Plus tard chez moi, je déposerais de l'encre et de l'aquarelle sur la scène en utilisant des photos de référence que j'ai prises. Je suppose que ceci est une autre illustration des différences entre le dessin et la photographie.
Aquarelle avec stylos Micron dans un carnet de sketch Strathmore 500, 27 x 16 cm (10,5 x 6 pouces).


3 comments:

Cindi said...

This is incredible - I had no idea that you were sketching from that location. This is so beautifully rendered Michael - Lovely!!

Anonymous said...

Superbe, j'aime beaucoup votre style de dessin et vos aquarelles! vous devriez songer à faire de la BD si vous n'en faites pas déjà. Merci du partage (petite correction a votre titre: "...terrace DU musée des beaux-arts...")

Lisa said...

MIchael, it was great meeting you on the crawl. I particularly appreciate the way you layer your work - foreground, middle ground, perhaps two background layers. I'm inspired to try this approach myself. Hope to see you again soon! Lisa