Thursday, December 13, 2018

Wildwood



This house, called Wildwood, was where my mother and her family lived during the Great Depression in the 1930s. The house was built in 1863 by Robert Lees and was demolished in the 1960s for the construction of a major artery road in downtown Ottawa - the Queensway. I recall that before it was demolished, I was taken to see the house by my parents. By then it was in a state of disrepair but I thought that it was just magnificent. I couldn't believe that my mother had lived in such a stately looking house. I thought that it would be fitting to add my parents to the scene.
Technical note: I made this sketch on my iPad Pro with an app called Procreate. I used some photos (see below) to sketch an image on watercolour paper in ink, and then imported it into my iPad where I coloured it. I confess that I'm still learning how to make images on my tablet but I'm enchanted with all the possibilities this electronic medium allows. The app says that I spent 9 hours 32 minutes colouring this image and made 14,212 brushstrokes. Unbelievable!
Digital image, 1768 x 1218 pixels (62 x 43 cm).

Cette maison, appelée Wildwood, était le lieu de résidence de ma mère et sa famille pendant la grande dépression des années 1930. La maison a été construite en 1863 par Robert Lees et a été démolie dans les années 1960 pour la construction d'une importante artère principale du centre-ville d'Ottawa - le Queensway. Je me souviens qu'avant la démolition, mes parents m'avaient emmené voir la maison. À ce moment-là, c'était dans un état de délabrement mais je pensais que c'était simplement magnifique. Je ne pouvais pas croire que ma mère avait vécu dans une maison aussi imposante. J'ai pensé qu'il serait approprié d'ajouter mes parents à la scène.
Note technique : J'ai réalisé ce croquis sur mon iPad Pro avec une application appelée Procreate. J'ai utilisé des photos (voir ci-dessous) pour dessiner une image sur papier aquarelle à l'encre, puis je l'ai importée dans mon iPad, où je l'ai coloriée. J'avoue que j'apprends encore à créer des images sur ma tablette, mais je suis enchanté par toutes les possibilités offertes par ce support électronique. L'application indique que j'ai passé 9 heures 32 minutes à colorier cette image et que j'ai effectué 14 212 coups de pinceau. Incroyable!
Image numérique, 1768 x 1218 pixels (62 x 43 cm). 

Photo published by Blair Stannard in Old Ottawa's Past - Forgotten and Fond Memories / Photo publié par Blair Stannard
 


No comments: